Skip to main content

Tomorrowland


Whilst I wait to finish off Melody Time and get my hands on a copy of Mr Ichabod and Mr Toad, to continue my Disney film marathon, I thought I'd return to my occasional look at non-film related attractions at the various Disney parks.

Having looked at Main Street USA in some detail, I had a think about where to visit next and decided to settle on Tomorrowland.  This is not an area of the parks I'm a massive fan of, although I am a science fiction fan outside of my Disney love.  I think that, compared to the vibrancy of Adventureland and Fantasyland, I just find it's theming a little blander.  That said, it has lots of good stuff to explore.

Attractions across the various parks include Carousel of Progress, Astro Orbiter, Stitch's Great Escape, The Laugh Floor, Buzz Lightyear's Astroblasters, Star Tours and, of course, the iconic Space Mountain which dominates this area in each of the parks.

I'll be leaving the film-related attractions for when I reach those films in the blog, so for now will be concentrating on the discrete attractions with my first focus being on Astro Orbiter.

And for those wondering about Tomorrowland starring George Clooney, a rare film tied in with an entire area of the Disney parks, I'll have to leave that until I've actually seen it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dumbo

A Disney Tale: A baby elephant is delivered to a circus elephant.  The baby, nicknamed Dumbo, has huge ears and is mocked by the other circus elephants and visitors to the circus.  When his mother tries to defendhim, she is separated from Dumbo and imprisoned.  Dumbo ends up working with the clowns but, after a drunken night with his new friend Timothy Mouse, Dumbo discovers he can fly with the aid of his massive ears.  At the circus, he becomes a sensation and is reunited with his mother.


Disney Heroine: Dumbo lacks significant human characters so the role of Disney Heroine for this film really falls to Dumbo's mother, Mrs Jumbo.  Her actions protecting Dumbo from the mean children at the circus are the catalyst for many of the film's later events.  The sorrow she feels when imprisoned in solitary confinement and separated from her only child is palpable as is her joy when reunited and travelling in the Jumbo family's private carriage at the back of Casey Jnr.  Interesting…

Pinocchio Miscellaneous

Pinocchio also appears in two other attractions at Disney parks.


Firstly the film has a large presence in Disneyland California's Storybook Land Canal Boats.  The beginning of the ride sees boats pass through the mouth of Monstro the Whale (possibly why this isn't a feature of the dark ride) and then on to see various miniature scenes of Disney films, one of which is Geppetto's village.


I will review Storybook Land Canal Boats - and its Disneyland Paris equivalent - in more detail in the future as it is a ride themed around a number of different films rather than being Pinocchio-centric.

I do like the idea of travelling through Monstro's mouth, though (in Paris it is the opening to the Cave of Wonders instead).

Pinocchio also has a presence in Fantasmic! with both Pinocchio and Monstro the Whale appearing at various points in all three versions of the show (at Walt Disney Hollywood Studios; Disneyland California and Tokyo DisneySea).


I have seen the Hollywood Studios versi…

Dumbo Miscellaneous

For such an iconic character, the one thing missing from the world of Dumbo is a character meet and greet around the parks.  However, at a Disneyland fireworks display around 2009, Dumbo was seen to fly around the castle (as seen in the image above).  Videos of the show suggest this was quite an awesome sight.  He seems to be a moving puppet (I'm assuming there isn't anyone inside him).


Dumbo also features in a number of Disney computer games.  He is a 'summon' in the Kingdom Hearts series of role play games (a character who the player 'summons' to aid them in battle) and also features in a segment of Disney's Villain's Revenge game.  This is slightly odd because, as I pointed out in my review of the film, there is no real clear villain in Dumbo.   In the game, the Ringmaster - the closest the film gets to a traditional villain - is forcing Dumbo to perform in his circus in a much more sadistic way than is ever presented in the film.  The player has to r…